Friday, August 28, 2009

A book worth reading...

"A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole

I've been thinking about this book recently, and how I should read it again for the, um, 25th time or so. Yeah, it's that good. I've been recommending it to friends for years, and I hope I've created lots more fans.

Like a priest with a past, the intriguing thing about the book is the background story to the author and it's publication.

John Kennedy Toole tried to have this book published for years and kept getting turned away by (idiotic) publishing houses. In exasperation, he committed suicide. His mother took up the cause after his death, and through sheer determination she managed to get it published. It won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 1979.

Ironic? Take a lesson, Ms. Morrissette.

Read it for yourself, its worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment